I used to believe in Chrome but now I have been using Firefox for the last several months. In that time I have seen enough problems that I wanted to share why you may want to reconsider your choice of browser.
- Chrome incompatibility. It used to be that Chrome was amazing because it was compatible with all websites often working better than Safari/Internet Explorer. This is no longer the case. It is probably the least compatible browser. Chrome made a change in its plugins that stopped many companies and technologies from working properly with it. For example, if you play games on the Internet you may have installed Unity Plugin in. Well Chrome doesn’t allow that, so my recent post on a fun free Unity-based game means you couldn’t play it in Chrome.
- Privacy. It used to be that Microsoft was the evil empire seeking to destroy your privacy. It still may be, but Google presents a much bigger threat. Since normally most people use google to search for things, there is a ton of information about you available and you don’t control it. You may delete your information, but don’t doubt that some information about you still lives on. It is clear that Google’s need to sell advertising triumphs their promises of user privacy. You just can’t trust someone whose business model is to sell information.
- Battery life. Google is working to be more efficient, but if you have laptop/smart phone then using Chrome sucks up your battery power. I noticed a big difference on laptops by using Firefox instead of Chrome. Even if you have a desktop, why waste electricity and money if you don’t have to?
- Speed. Chrome slows down when you use plugins and crash. When I tried to use 2 plugins in Chrome that were popular and well-regarded, it crashed. You don’t save time when you have to start and reload where you were working.
- Updating. When Chrome wants an update it will cause Chrome to work erratically. Things will be slow or not work right. When Firefox needed to be updated it was updated when it was started (in the distant past) and honestly and I don’t even remember having to do an update. It is unobtrusive. Exactly like a software program should be.