Blue Apron not worth it to me.
I thought I would like Blue Apron but I did not. It has some positives, but way more negatives. Here is why I didn’t like it.
- Not organic. They have some organic items but most of the stuff isn’t organic. In fact, they send canned goods which I avoid. Cans have BPA and that is a known problem. There are non BPA canned goods which should have been sent.
- Terrible recipes. The recipes are almost always terrible. I have made 12 different ones and they all were worse than something I could have have created myself. The ingredients were bland, and overpriced.
- Over-packaged. Everything had way too much packaging. It was very wasteful and created so much garbage. Convenience came at too high a cost to the environment.
- Lack of care in delivery. Even though I was home the driver never rang my doorbell just left the items on the doorstep. When I heard him leave the packages I got up and he was already gone. I have never talked to any of the Blue Apron employees so that I can ask questions about the delivery and service. Whats more, not calling before you come is just rude. What if there was an emergency and having big boxes blocking your front door don’t help you?
- Poor policies. I canceled my Blue Apron subscription but rather than cancel your orders and refund your money, they insist on making a delivery for the next week. I canceled my service a week ago and because they charged the box they said they couldn’t give me a refund. Listen I understand if the delivery is on the way, but a week later a delivery should be canceled.
- Trying to cancel was difficult. You have to send them an email to cancel, and then approve it again to cancel your service. This is silly. If I want to cancel, I want to cancel now without creating more hurdles to canceling. They think making it difficult will slow customers. It will just anger your former customers to write articles like this warning others.
- Customer service was unhelpful. I did a chat with them and they were like a robot. I never had the feeling that they cared about me as a customer and wanted to find a solution to my concerns.
- Wasted goods like Nordic Ice. This goes back to the packaging complaint. The Nordic Ice keeps it cool but they put in so much that the food is basically frozen. Plus once you get this every week they are wasted and I ended up having to throw them away.
- Didn’t save time, took more time. So I thought this would save time, but all of these issues resulted in spending more time handling groceries. It isn’t worth the effort.
- No excellent meals. There were no excellent meals in this experience. If I am going to go through all of this and the meals don’t even have one excellent meal after spending $300, then it is not me it is them.
So do what you like, but for me, Blue Apron is a strong avoid.