I had a friend with this problem today and your solution solved it. Thanks Devasis!
I noticed that you did not get the settings back again after restoring your system too.so i would like to show some steps which might get all your settings back which you desire
1. Go to Start Menu -> All programs -> Accessories
2. Look for command prompt and right click on that.
4. Select Run as Administrator.
3. Give the following commands in the command prompt window:
4. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
5. Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
6. Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
7. After all these restart your system and the icon will be replaced back in its place.
via Windows 7 is not showing wireless icon in systray – Operating Systems.