OS X Mavericks VPN connection: Apple Support Communities. VPN has been unreliable on the mac sporadically for years. There are two solutions for this.
1. Update your Cisco VPN software to the latest version
2. Use the following method below. Thanks cyberjunkyfreak.
I don’t believe it’s been fixed, however I was able to resolve the disconnect issue with the following workaround:
1. Create ‘/etc/racoon/remote’ directory as root:
# mkdir /etc/racoon/remote
2. Open VPN connection and then copy the VPN config file from ‘/var/run/racoon/*.conf’ to ‘/etc/racoon/remote’ directory:
# cp /var/run/racoon/188.8.131.52.conf /etc/racoon/remote/184.108.40.206.conf
3. Replace all ‘lifetime time 3600 sec” lines to ‘lifetime time 12 hours” and create a *backup file:
# sed -i.bak ’s/lifetime time 3600 sec/lifetime time 12 hours/‘ /etc/racoon/remote/*.conf
4. Add the following line ‘include “/etc/racoon/remote/*.conf” ;’ just above the last line ‘include “var/run/racoon/*.conf” ;’ in the /etc/racoon/racoon.conf file:
# vi /etc/racoon/racoon.conf
include “/etc/racoon/remote/*.conf” ; <— add this line
include “var/run/racoon/*.conf” ;
5. *Create a backup file:
# cp /etc/racoon/racoon.conf /etc/racoon/racoon.conf.bak
# launchctl stop com.apple.racoon
# launchctl start com.apple.racoon
*The backup files are not necessary, however will help to slip them back into place if any future OS upgrade overwrites the custom racoon configuration files.
The above workaround has worked for me… hopefully it will work for you too?