I tried Sony Vue last night and for me, it is not worth it. Here are the reasons why.
- Price. The price is very expensive compared to Hulu/Netflix. Even though you get local channels as part of it, there isn’t anything compelling that makes that worthwhile. There are good aspects of the service but not enough to justify the price. You need a PSN account, a PS3/4 and that makes the price too high for the average person. The good aspects are that it has clear video, and with a 50MB internet connection there were no hiccups.
- Interface. I found the interface confusing and quite silly. When I first started it, it automatically choose a show and was playing it in the background. That should not be the first thing that happens. You should be given a choice of what to watch, and not forced with any auto-playing content. With all the buttons of the PS controller it wasn’t clear how to control the interface. Things were labeled but not explained. They need to redo the entire interface in my opinion. I think Netflix/Hulu interface is much better.
- Trial period. It was a brief trial period. Netflix/Hulu seemed to offer a 14 day trial when I signed up, and a 7 day period is just silly. A new service needs to offer the same thing as its competitors and then offer more. You set a bad precedent by offering fewer features for a higher price.
- Owned by Sony. Sony has had a terrible record of network reliability. The PSN network goes down regularly, I know because I play DC Online a PSN dependent game. I would not pay Sony for its network, and when my subscription is over, I will not renew. Sony has been a terrible cloud service provider. Their customer service is terrible, and my PS4 is dying so when it does I won’t buy another one. Sony used to be good, but its quality has been worse as the years go by. It is crazy. Sony makes bad decisions about everything else and loses money and yet they can’t give PlayStation owners what we want. Reliable internet PSN connectivity and reliable hardware. I had my first PS4 break and only because I bought an extra extended warranty and paid more money do I have a working system. That is not acceptable level of quality.
- Recycled content. There wasn’t anything on the Vue that wasn’t already on Netflix/Hulu. Even though it had local stations, you saw advertising!! You don’t pay $50 a month to get advertising. Advertising either makes something free, or it is eliminated. I don’t believe this service offers enough at the price, advertising and content to make this worthwhile. It just doesn’t make sense. People are not consumption robots. We don’t need advertising shoved down our throats. I make it a rule to never buy anything that is advertised. This service feels like Sony’s arrogance thinks that people will think this is a good deal. It is not a good deal, and I would avoid anything that doesn’t allow you to re-watch content on demand or save content you want.