PDF’s problems displaying in Chrome or IE

For years, web browsers have had problems displaying PDF’s in Chrome and IE. It doesn’t seem to matter the version of the browser, or the PDF viewer, it often caused heavy-duty pdf users to have issues. The issues ranged from not displaying, to getting a vague Adobe PDF error, to crashing the browser. I read and did everything I could to fix this issue including updating the Adobe Professional application, updating the browser, clearing the cache, resetting the browser, doing the Hokey Pokey and turning all about. Nothing seemed to be the permanent fix for this.

Finally I realized that if you can’t fix the issue in the browser, maybe the best thing is to disable viewing PDF in the browser. I went to the Google plugin settings and disabled the built-in Chrome PDF viewer and since the Adobe PDF viewer wasn’t listed I didn’t need to disable it. Then when someone clicked on a URL to download and view a PDF on the web, instead of viewing it in the browser, it downloaded and opened up in the PDF application. This seems to work very well, and it didn’t give any errors.

I am sharing this to say that if you can’t get something working after a few years of working with the system, perhaps its best to avoid the “feature” and just do it another way. The person who needed this was happy it was viewable in the program and that she was able to see the PDF. I had done all of the suggested troubleshooting, but since she views hundreds of pdfs everyday she needed something that was rock solid.

Related Post

Share on RedditShare on StumbleUponShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestEmail this to someoneShare on TumblrDigg thisBuffer this pageFlattr the authorPrint this pageTweet about this on TwitterShare on VKShare on Yummly